Monday, April 02, 2007

Sometimes We Get Screwed

This just irritates me.

It's true...

At one of my previous employers I was told (by the next dog in line) that women were paid according to what their husbands made. That just pissed me off. Its none of their business what your hubby makes AND he's not doing your job!

But here's what the article says to do:

1. Research the going rates in your field, by checking out salary ranges in want ads and on Web sites like salary.com. Then ask for the high end of the spectrum. It's easier to negotiate down than up.

2. "No" often means "Not now." Even if a pay hike just isn't in the budget at the moment, that doesn't mean it never will be. Don't get discouraged.

3. Negotiate more than plain dollars and cents. Your total compensation might include other items you may want more of, like performance bonuses, profit sharing, paid time off, flexible work hours, tuition reimbursement, and club memberships.

4. Act confident (even if you don't feel it). Communicate with authority. "Perceived confidence has a big impact," Stanny says.

5. Remember, the best time to negotiate is when you have other offers.

6. Have points prepared and build a case around your value and what you bring to the company.

Regardless of who I work for now and in the future.. I will never discuss my husbands job or pay. Ever. Not all men pay women unfairly, but I'm not taking that chance.

No comments: