Thursday, September 20, 2007

Return to Sender

A woman finds a romantic letter in a bottle washed ashore and tracks down the author, a widowed shipbuilder whose wife died tragically early. As a deep and mutual attraction blossoms, the man struggles to make peace with his past so that he can move on and find happiness.


I rented the sappy tearjerker, Message in a Bottle, a few weeks ago. For starters, I think Kevin Costner is a puss (IMHO) so that made for Strike One. I realize there are legions of Costner fans walking the earth, but I’m not one of them. Secondly, the characters didn’t even bother attempting realism by speaking with a southern accent. This dreadful tale is supposedly set in Wilmington, NC, and having lived in North Carolina for several years, I can attest to the fact that true Tarheels do indeed talk with a pronounced drawl. And that brings me to Strike Three—it’s supposed location. As I watched the movie, I looked in vain for any familiar beach shots that vaguely resembled the Outer Banks. HA! For whatever reason, the powers that be chose deception over truth by saying this drivel took place on my special coast when in actuality, it was Maine’s seashore used for the setting. Guess they figured no one would notice. At any rate, I almost had to restrain myself from applauding at the end when Kevin’s character met his untimely demise. *said in loud umpirish voice,* “Yer out!”

8 comments:

Kerry said...

So, you liked the movie!? lol

Circe said...

LMAO! More like a thumbs down, Kerbear... :)

TC said...

I hated that movie. HATED it. And I wasted money in the theater with a bunch of friends on it! Uff da... no good!

Circe said...

TC--you mean it wasn't just me? Whew! I am all for chick flicks and star-crossed romance and all that but this just didn't fill the bill. I was very happy it was only watched via Netflix and not a movie theater.
:)

Unknown said...

Someone should do the world a favour, and tie Waterworld to Costner's feet and toss him overboard.

Circe said...

Wombat--stellar idea! I don't know why I don't like him but I just don't. And I think of Forrest Gump when I see Robin Wright Penn. :)

*said in best Gump voice..."Jenny!"*

Bone said...

Wait, the same girl was in Forrest Gump and Message In A Bottle?

Darn, I'm unobservant.

Unknown said...

If you're like me, dearest Circe, you don't like him because he continues to give cardboard performances for million dollar fees.

I'd rather they substitute a muppet - any muppet - for our Kev.

Waterworld with Miss Piggy. Now that's a movie.