Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Puter Parts

I've been in the IT world for many moons and my current job is nothing close to being IT related. Other than we use a PC to work. That's kind of how i wanted it. I was really getting tired of the hassle. Did you know the average IT person changes jobs after being in the field for approximately 7 years... because they experience burnout!? Yep. Its true... I read it somewhere.

Anyways, at my new job... my experience is getting the best of me. Its driving me crazy that the office manager insists on moving the 'guts' from point A to point B. I say "you mean the CPU?" Her: "the guts". UGH!

Then she asks me if I need a UBS plug thing. Me: "you mean USB?" Her: "yeah, that thingy". UGH

We change "the guts" and all the "stuff" that goes with it to different locations and holy cow... the one I connected works... the one they connected "isnt working". The PC, I mean "the guts", is working. There is power. But the internet won't come up. hhhmmmm

They ask "Kerry, is yours working?"
Me: Of course!
Them: This one isn't working. Can you... do you know what's wrong?
One guess what it was. I looked behind "the guts" and sure enough no network cable. I plugged it in and told her to try again.

I healed it!

It's really killing me to watch all this go on. I have worked with the smartest of the smartest guys and this hurts!

OH OH OH! AND she also had to put a shortcut on my desktop so I could get to a document and enter some data. She asked me if I could do it and then just did it for me! UGH! I don't particularly want it on my desktop PLUS if I did... I can do it!

Another girl in my office came from Dell and she handles it alot better than me! Somehow she has the capability to ignore. I tend to lean towards... telling them where to stick it :)

1 comment:

Grant said...

Despite being an I/T pro, I tend to refer to 'puter stuff as thingys. But you forgot the apostrophe before 'puter, so I gig you for your poor English. :p