Before we let the games begin, I must preface this by saying I am unable to receive Oklahoma City TV stations on our satellite dish because I live across a county line that divides us as to what are considered “local stations” thus throwing us into the
In honor of this twister intensive state, let’s prepare to break out the annual GARY ENGLAND DRINKING GAME! If you have ever lived in Oklahoma this game will make perfect sense to you or even if you’ve paid us a visit especially in April, May, or June, this will make perfect sense. Have fun!
1. Everyone selects a storm chaser other than Val Castor. (Val lives in Stillwater and Gary talks to him CONSTANTLY.) Every time Gary talks to your storm chaser, you take one drink. Take two drinks every time we see footage from your storm chaser. Take four drinks if your storm chaser says "tornado on the ground!"
2. Everyone selects a county other than Pottawatomie County. (Because we are always hearing about Pottawatomie County.) Every time Gary mentions your county, you take one drink. Take two drinks every time we see footage from your county. Take four drinks if a tornado touches down in your county.
1. Take one drink every time Gary says the following: Hook Echo | Updraft | Metro | Doppler radar | Wall cloud |Ranger 9 | Underground | Mobile home
2. When Gary gives a list of counties, take one drink for every county in the list. (Oklahoma has 77 counties but somehow they all get mentioned at some point.)
3. Take one drink every time Gary interrupts a program. Take one drink if Gary says "You’re not missing any of [program name]." (This is a major concern dammit!) Take one drink when Gary says "We’ll keep you advised." (Like we had any doubt he wouldn’t.)
1. Take two drinks every time Gary says the following: Baseball-sized hail |Waterloo Road | Pottawatomie County | Deer Creek High School (How many times has that high school been hit anyway?!?)
2. Take two drinks every time Gary mentions the following towns: Altus | Burns Flat | Dill City | Gotebo | Hydro | Lookeba | Meeker | Mulhall | Oktaha | Olustee | Shattuck | Slaughterville | Tryon | Vici |Waukomis | Wayne (or Payne) | Weleetka | Wetumkah (The only one that is even slightly big is Altus.) (C note: Amazingly, my county isn’t mentioned but believe me, it gets plenty of action.)
3. Take two drinks every time Gary talks to Val Castor. (Now we are gonna get really drunk!)
1. Take three drinks if we see footage from Val Castor.
2. Take three drinks if we see footage from Pottawatomie County.
3. Take three drinks if Gary mentions the following: Immediate tornado precautions | National Weather Service | Mesocyclone | Portable Radio | Take shelter | Tornado warning in effect until ...
1. Take four drinks if Ranger 9 must land to refuel. (Notice it doesn't say when it lands to take cover, we don't land our aircraft in a tornado around here, we fly AROUND them.)
2. Take four drinks if Gary issues his own tornado warning, not recognized by the NWS (He's a renegade that way) or says the following: "Will someone please answer that phone?" (He takes this stuff seriously damn it, answer the phone.) or "Do you see the power flashes?"
3. Take four drinks if a shirtless tornado victim is interviewed. (Redneck land, yo. There is a reason I get dressed and put on shoes when a storm is in the vicinity.) (C note: I do too before I head to our wine, er, storm cellar.)
Finish your drink
1. Finish your drink if someone uses the word tornado as a verb or if Gary mentions the cross streets nearest to you.
2. If Gary says "We’ve lost Val," pour a little out for your homies and finish your drink. (Poor Val…)
If THAT won't get you drunk, it can't be done.
Welcome to my world…